St Bride’s Community Centre started life as St Bride’s Parish Church – the foundation stone for which was laid in 1908.
Many members of the Dalry PSA (Pleasant Sunday Afternoon) Group, who may have met at the Church, made the supreme sacrifice during World War One –
The purpose of the ‘Pleasant Sunday Afternoon’ movement was to provide regular non-denominational Sunday afternoon meetings, filled with new interests. The meetings were to be “brief, bright and brotherly”.
The congregation of St Colm’s Parish Church was formed in 7th June 1973 with the union of St Bride’s Parish Church and Dalry Haymarket Parish Church. St Bride’s was a congregation of the Church of Scotland and Dalry Haymarket was formed on the union of Dalry and Haymarket congregations on 7th February 1960.
Here is a very interesting document written by R.B Young which details the history of the Church, the unification of St Bride’s Church with Dalry – Haymarket Church and its eventual change of use to a Community Centre – St Bride’s Parish Church 1880 – 1973. Ed. R.B Young.
The Church was tranformed into a Community Centre and opened in May 1977. The newspaper article relating to this can be read here – St Bride’s Opening
We would be very interested to see any photos or other documents relating to the Church – photographs of the weddings and christenings which took place in the Church are particularly sought and with permission, we would love to show them on this page.
Below are some photos from Sheila Tait’s wedding at St Bride’s Church in 1966 –